Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

I have to say that spending a Mother's Day cooking, cleaning, and taking care of four kids by myself is not how I would picture my day of supposed recognition, especially when my husband got to relax and read a book all day. (You shouldn't tell on yourself, Jared!) I wouldn't change poopy diapers or wipe up spit up from my shirt. I wouldn't take four kids to church alone or break up fights or listen to endless whining over what I made for dinner. I wouldn't make sure my house was immaculate and ready to show to prospective buyers making me 45 minutes late to church only to come home and see that no one came.

But that isn't all that happened today. I was showered with cards and love notes from my kids. I got slobbery kisses from Heidi, she grabs my hair and pulls me close and smashes her mouth on my face. Megan helped me get breakfast for everyone. Christian snuggled with me while we watch a few cartoons. Ethan told me I was the best mom ever. Oh, Megan did, too. I got to go to church with my wonderful, well behaved kids and get the cutest handprint momento/potpourri pillow. Instead of a carnation, all of us mothers got an awesome spiral bound collection of gospel pictures which is the best gift I have ever gotten from church for Mother's Day. A sweet friend who I teach with made chocolate covered strawberries for all the ladies in primary (my kids ate them, I did get one). I got to share a nice dinner courtesy of Stouffers with my kids filled with fun conversation and lots of laughs. Megan helped get dinner cleaned up so we could have our traditional Sunday Sundaes while we watch America's Funniest Home Videos. I got to kneel with my sweet children and listen to their prayers. All in all, today was filled with lots of happiness. Yes, I had to do everything myself, no husband to help. Yes, I had to do lots of things I don't consider pleasant or fun, but I am a mother, it is what I do. It is what I find joy in. It is the most important thing in my life. I wouldn't change a thing.

Aren't these so cute! Karalee is amazing as always...


My kids and all the wonderful things they gave me. Heidi is sleeping so she didn't get to be included in photos :(


A close up. I love it all, sweet thoughts from them to me.


Megan made this for me last week and it sat on my desk all week. I won't say if I read it before today or not ;) I love the sticky note on it!


Ahhh, what I made myself for mother's day.


Happy Mother's Day to all of my friends and especially to my mom, Nanny, and my mother-in-law. You all inspire me to be a better mother. I watch and learn from you and my kids benefit greatly. I am glad to have you all in my life.

And now I am off to my strawberries. I just might eat them all... Tomorrow the dieting begins.... LOL!!!

UPDATE: I only ate 4 strawberries before I thought I would die if I ate another LOL. That just means I have some for tomorrow :D Maybe that can be our FHE snack...

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I feel so humbled right now! I was going to complain on my blog how Jeramie was only going to make a sloppy joes for dinner.

You are amazing also because there are some days I can barely cope with an 8 hr. work day. And here you are handling a 3 week separation. I know I couldn't handle it.

bknmkalhyland said...

Your post made me teary eyed! I loved it. You are a great mom and your kids and husband are lucky to have you!

a said...

OMGOSH those strawberries look soooooooooooooooooo yummy, I wish I was your next door neighbor. lol.

Rebecca Dix said...

Your kids are as crafty as you Melissa! Your post made me cry. :-)