Wednesday, April 29, 2009

talk about stress.....

I couldn't take it anymore, I had to go inside....

This morning when I walked the kids across the street to school we saw the CUTEST thing! There was a mama bird and FOUR cute baby birds in the driveway. She would run a little and they would follow. She would go a little more and they would, too. All the while she is chirping and they copy her. I think she got nervous when we came out, poor dear. One of her babies ran inbetween the houses and one ran ACROSS THE DANG STREET! I was freaking out. She was, too. The chirping proved it. It almost sounded like psycho bird marco polo. You can just imagine her yelling, "GET YOUR BUTT BACK OVER HERE THIS INSTANT MISTER OR NO WORMS FOR DINNER FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!" I sympathised with her, ever had your kids run away from you at walmart or in a parking lot? She chirped from the yard and the baby across the street would chirp and run a little in one direction. She would chirp again and he would chirp and run a different direction. She flew across the street and started digging in this hole. Looking back, I wonder if it is her nest or something. Soon after she did this another bird starts trying to help herd the baby back to mom who is now back with the other babies trying to get them under control. Hmm, I bet that other bird is the father and he was sleeping through all the chaos, letting mother try to take care of four babies alone. Typical. I am watching all this just wanting to run over there and pick up the confused baby, but I refrain. How will he ever learn. So, there isn't much traffic at the time I bring my kids across, but there are a few cars coming here and there and this poor little guy is stuck across the street. She keeps trying to get him to cross the street and here comes a car. I wanted to scream at the cars and warn them about the poor stranded baby bird and the frantic momma bird, but I didn't. I just covered my face and hoped for the best. The other baby birds were following mom right by the curb and I could tell they got scared when a car came by. The mother finally got all the babies underneath her. The mom and dad birds were working together to try to get the one baby safe. She chirped from one side of the street and dad was on the same side as the baby and he would chirp and they finally got the baby over to mom. I think he learned his lesson. He went straight under her wing. I bet he is grounded. I am SO glad they are all together, but I hope they stay put for a while because the morning rush to school is about to happen. I think I will go check on them in a little bit. I hope I don't see them. I hope they are safe somewhere. Here is a picture of the mom with the 4 babies under her. I wanted to get a picture of the babies out, but there was no way I was going to disturb them and risk another fiasco. As I was slowly walking towards her, she started chirping loudly at me. If I could understand her she would probably be saying, "Lady, please get the crap away from me, I can't take any more stress right now." I wasn't even that close yet. I stayed back pretty far and then zoomed as far as my camera would go and I still had to majorly crop the picture so you can see the babies and you still can't see them well.



I just went outside and they were in my yard! I scared them. Oops. Must be some good worms in my yard. Here are some pics... (check out the long legs on those babies!)





Here is a video. Ignore me on there and listen for the little "beeps" the mom makes. Sorry for the shaky camera, I obviously can't walk and film at the same time even when I am trying to hold it steady LOL!



I could watch them all day, but I better keep an eye on my own little chickies.

3 comments:

Lorren Says... said...

You are cracking me up with the dad comment. This would have been so cool to see!

JIM B. (Also known as Roger Butler) said...

Melissa, I had a similar incident day before yesterday. There is an empty fence runner hole right next to my driveway and a little bird has raised her young from this hole. One of them was sitting on the fence fluttering its wings periodically. The mom and dad were in miss hills tree chirping away. Dont know what happened but there was a little one sitting in the grass the next morning sitting in the grass. don't know what happened to it either, but at least it is not lying there dead.

Castaneda 5 said...

You're funny! I'm going to remember this the next time I'm dragging Isabel (middle child syndrome) to the car in some parking lot. She would be the one who ran across the street and didn't listen to me when I said get back over here!