Friday, October 16, 2009

A Bump in the Night

Yesterday I laid Christian down for a nap and Heather and I kept hearing a knocking noise and thought he was rolling around on the bed and hitting the wall with his legs or something. I went in to check on Christian and he was in the middle of the floor playing. Hmmm... Later I heard the noise when I was in his room and I quickly looked out the window to see if I could see anything. Nothing. Just our fence, a street, and grass. I forgot about it. Last night I got up with Heidi about 3 a.m. and after I laid her down I started to hear a crazy sound within the walls of my home. I started getting scared. I forced myself to close my eyes and try to sleep. Bump. I heard it again. Bump. Again. Bump. CRAP!!! What is in my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I called Jared (he was alseep in the living room) and told him to come in our room and listen to this sound. He sat on the bed and sure enough we heard the sound again. Bump. It was quite loud, too. Neither of us could think of what it could be. I rapped on the wall and the noise seemed to go away. Great. I scared the big scary monster in the wall. Jared got up and said he was going back to sleep. I laid there visualizing all the horrible things it could be. A raccoon? A giant rat? A large bird? A ghost? AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I eventually fell asleep. Then, this morning we were getting the kids ready and I heard it again! Jared heard it, too. Jared said he was going to check something outside. Soon after I heard the noise a bunch of times in a row! Christian came running out of his room and asked me what was happening in his room!!! Jared came in and asked me if I heard the noise five times. Yes, I suppose it could have been five times....

It was the gate to the privacy fence. It must not have latched properly when Jared closed it after mowing and he never checked it because he planned on finishing the yard and I made him come inside. (it was CRAZY dark!!) Anyway, the gate was slamming open and close with the wind. Phew! No rat or scary monster!

But here is a picture of the new addition to the pool area in the back yard. We put an iron fence in to close off the pool from the rest of the yard so the kids can play safely and give me some peace of mind :) It wasn't a cheap investment, but worth every penny!

No comments: