Thursday, August 20, 2009

Did that really just happen? Really?

Jared came to get us to go out for lunch today. He wanted to go somewhere fast and cheap. He chose Schlotzsky's. I love that place. I don't love going to fast food places for lunch, during lunch hour, with 4 kids. I just don't like it. There isn't ever a place to fit all my family. There might be 6 chairs open in the restaurant, but none near each other. I really hate trying to figure it all out with all the drinks, the food, the kids running around, and all the people staring at us. OK, maybe no one really stares. Today they did.

We get to the restaurant and walk in. I immediately scan for a table to fit us all. There is a table for 4 empty and a few scattered 2-person tables. Crap. Well, ok, Jared is with me so I don't have to do this alone. We order our food and get the cups and I suggest we go try to figure out our sitting arrangement before we get drinks. We head to the 4 person table and there are no other tables near it to spread us all out. Jared grabbed a high chair for Heidi and we CRAM ourselves around this tiny table. I knew this would happen. The nice lady at the table next to us offered up an empty chair so two kids wouldn't be sharing a chair. Six of us crowded around a little square table. Not fun. The people in a 4 person table next to us left. THANK HEAVEN! We started moving the kids to the other table and I left to get them drinks. While I was at the fountain, our number was called. I look at Jared and he is on the phone not paying attention. So I went to get what I could carry and a guy helped me carry the rest. Upon getting to the table we set out the food and I gave the kids their stuff and went to get lids for the kids drinks (the ones who got their own drinks). I came back to my sandwich laying on the floor. I asked WHAT HAPPENED!!! Jared answered... Your daughter. Thanks Heidi. Thanks. Jared picked it up off the floor and left to get me another. He made sure his sandwich was out of reach. I was begging Christian to give me some of his pizza to give to Heidi when I saw another sandwich meet the floor out of the corner of my eye. Jared's sandwich bit the dust. I just buried my face in my hands in disbelief as I heard both gasps and laughter from the crowd around us. Crap. I got up and walked over to Jared who was getting his drink and I told him about his sandwich. He was flabbergasted. He had put his sandwich out of her reach! She is just too good. The onlookers were having a great time watching our lunch time freak show. The nice lady who gave us a chair loved the entertainment. She told me so. I was crying and laughing at the same time and a nice grandma told me not to worry about it, that it would be easier in 40 years. Thanks. Jared had to go tell the cashier that yet another sandwich was thrown to the floor by his baby and needed another one. I wish I could have seen her face! When she brought his new sandwich, she said, "Here you go baby" like she was going to give it to Heidi. Jared said to Heidi that it was a good thing she was so young or she would have been in trouble. I heard the older couple next to us giggle when they heard this. I was a bright shade of red for almost the entire lunch. How embarassing! I told you people stare. I guess it doesn't help we give people reason to. In the end, we all got to eat, everyone was happy, and no more sandwiches hit the floor.

I learned a lot from lunch today...

I think I am officially done having kids.

And going to fast food restaurants during lunch hour.

And I probably won't ever go into that Schlotzsky's ever again.

5 comments:

JIM B. (Also known as Roger Butler) said...

To think that you were embarrassed, I can't for the life of me see anything horrible about this. Stuff like this happens all the time and just think you made someone else's day. They will remember this for a while, and think fondly on you for not coming unglued. Cheer up. Papa

a said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I wish I could have been there to laugh uh I mean help! Kids are great!

Melissa said...

yes mom. that did happen. i didnt see either one of them fall.

Meagan and John said...

Melissa, don't be embarassed about food falling to the ground, wait till you are at the park in the summer for their free lunch program and find a group of teenagers laughing, noticing that your son is missing only to find him in front of the teenagers with his pants to his ankles leaving a little gift in the grass--yes, as humiliating as this must have been for you today, I think what my little darling did in the park was way worse--we not only left but I refused to return and sent the kids with someone else for a couple of weeks before I finally broke down and accompanied them back--the worst was calling my mom who informed me she heard what happened in the park (she lives in Utah and neither John or I told her--OK, so I blogged about it and posted it on facebook, but still she never reads those things)

Liz said...

I'm with your Papa....no biggie. Sure, it was embarassing at the time, but it happens. Kids spill drinks & knock food off the table & cry in public. I bet every one of those people who were watching have kids of their own & remember those days with their own little ones. I always try to giggle (and help if I can!) when I see a mom or dad having a hard time with little ones b/c I've been there, done that. These years will pass so quickly, though. Before ya know it, they'll be changing your diapers & feeding you at the nursing home. :)